Wednesday, 6 January 2016

Side Effects May Vary by Julie Murphy | Book Review


Okay, I just want to address the fact that I'm writing this literally just after I finished reading the book. I feel like I'm typing so fast because I want to get everything I feel into this blog post. I just can't control my feelings right now. Hang on, let me breathe for a second. 
Alright, I'm good.


According to Goodreads, I started this book in early December but other things got in the way and I didn't get into it properly until around Christmas. I can't register my feelings with this book. It started off pretty neutral and okay. By about 2/3 of the way through, I was depicting whether the storyline was going to really go anywhere. BUT, in the last 100-ish pages, I could not put it down and my emotions were being tossed around in a whirlwind. I had no idea what was happening. One minute I was like YES, then ARGH, then AWW, then OMFG WHAT and now I'm just like wow. This is the best way for me to describe my feelings haha.

This book follows both Alice and Harvey, in the context of 'now' and 'then'. Alice is diagnosed with leukemia, throwing her world upside down. She takes it upon herself to write a list of things she wants to do before she dies, and with the help of Harvey, a never-say-no-because-i-love-her kind of guy, she sets out to destroy everything that has destroyed her. The ripples of effect create earth shattering consequences that they both have to deal with.


I enjoyed the variety of characters in this book. There was such a mixture of personalities, that everyone reading could relate to someone. However, I had a love-hate relationship with the main character, Alice. I felt sorry for a lot of characters only to get annoyed with them later on. I'm still trying to work out who I liked, and didn't like.

I also felt like the book would be based more around the 'bucket-list' rather than the relationships, and life. But, I actually think it wouldn't have been as great if it did. It definitely wouldn't have given me as many feelings, and that's one of the things I appreciated most.  

A few favourite quotes! (If you don't want spoilers, skip this part.)


'There was no way I could go back to school and sit in a goddamn classroom, not while this silent avalanche slid down on my world.'


'...I wished for a problem--a distraction--so big it would blanket me and my parents and everyone I loved most in an all-consuming darkness.'


'The summer sun fell in the sky, flirting with the horizon.'


Overall, I really enjoyed reading this. I suggest giving it a read! Incase you haven't realised yet, I loved this book. It's a super great read, and if you're in the mood for a rollercoaster of emotions, go for this one. Also, I want to hug Julie Murphy. I don't know why, I just want to. Can we arrange this?
Rating - 4/5 stars

Have you read this book? If you have, let me know what you thought!

Love, Laura xx

No comments:

Post a Comment