Wednesday, 13 January 2016

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon | Book Review


Okay. This book is fantastic. I feel like my heart has been shattered into a million pieces. I'm not over exaggerating.

Everything, Everything follows a teenager called Madeline Whittier who is allergic to the world. She has a rare disease known as SCID (Severe Combined Immunodeficiency). She cannot leave her house because the risks are too severe. That is, until Olly comes along and provokes the thoughts in Madeline's mind about how much she is losing out.

I liked how the book was made up of more than just words, it was notes, instant messages, thoughts, pictures, quotes etc.
I loved the characters in this book. Despite not being the main character, I really liked Carla (Madeline's nurse) because she's so thoughtful in the way that she cares about Madeline's life experiences, as well as her physical health. She made me wish I had someone like her in my life. Someone, that not only cares about my health, but about the life I live and the experiences that I need to go through. Olly was another favourite of mine, because he was willing to do whatever it took to see Madeline. He realised her boundaries, but still wanted to make her happy with what she had and could do.

At the beginning of the book, I enjoyed reading about the relationship between Madeline and her mother. But by the end, I didn't know what to think about her - as a lot of people probably did. I was mad, and sympathetic. I'm still trying to work out how I really feel about her. I think I just feel sorry for her, but that doesn't excuse her actions. I don't know. How do you feel about her?

Every time I read a book, I'm looking out for words, or phrases that stand out for me. But I didn't find anything that caught my eye with this one. I think that's the only thing I disliked about Everything, Everything.

Overall, I loved this book a lot. I lifted this off my bookshelf at about 2am thinking, deceived as I was, that I'd just read a chapter and go to sleep. Nope, didn't happen. From the first few pages I was hooked and I could not for the life of me set this book down. There's nothing I love more than a book that does this to me. And then for an ending like this one... I can't even explain it. It was phenomenal. The sort of ending that makes you think "Seriously? How the hell did I not see that coming? I'm so bloody oblivious!" It was fantastic.
Rate: 5/5 stars!

Have you read this book? What did you like/dislike about it? I want to talk about this book forever so let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment