Wednesday, 9 December 2015

You Deserve A Drink Book Review


I am so excited for today's post, because it features one of the best women on this planet - Mamrie Hart!
If you've been hiding under a cardboard box since 2011, Mamrie is a YouTuber that hosts a channel called "You Deserve A Drink" and it is nothing but hilarious!

As the cover mentions, this book is basically a collection of Mamrie's life experiences, from losing an eye contact while pole dancing, to setting herself on fire at a Flaming Lips concert!



There were so many things that I loved about this book, and now I'm going to talk about some of them. First, the cover. Mamrie is freaking gorgeous, and I think the pictures on the front (and back) show this well - specifically the fact that she's holding a drink in both pictures. It just wouldn't be Mamrie otherwise, right?
I also really liked the realism of this book, and the way in which Mamrie describes things. For example, one chapter discusses how she went to get her "hoo-ha" waxed and the way she talks about the experience of this literally made me cry laugh. The tears were streaming down my face. In a good way, of course.
On a serious note, she also discusses panic attacks and as someone who experiences these, it was nice to see a well written description of how they can affect you. I really appreciated this chapter in how it was explained, but also in how it made me feel like I wasn't the only one having to deal with them.
As you would aspect from Mamrie, the humour in this book is never ending. However, what I didn't expect too much was advice. While she often mentions how you shouldn't take said advice, I think it's a very important part of this memoir.

The only thing I disliked about this book was that it wasn't longer. And I don't mean this in a "it was too short, so I didn't learn anything from it" kind of way. It's more of a "I do not want this book to ever end and I need moreeeee!" haha.

A few favourite quotes/phrases (If you don't want any spoilers, don't read this part!)

"As I was staring at the Jackson Pollock of snot and holding back dry heaves, I ran off the road and smashed into a telephone pole. I wasn't even going that fast, but as soon as I hit and the airbags deployed, my knee-jerk reaction was to hit the gas. I broke that pole in half like "Macho Man" Randy Savage snaps a Slim Jim."

"Needless to say, my butthole was clenched so tight that if you'd stuck a lump of coal up there, I would've shit out a diamond."

"That's weird. It looks like a manatee in a headlock. Holy fuck, it looked like I had a manatee in a headlock. Remember me telling you how sensitive my skin is? Well, after forty-five minutes of having essentially hot caramel poured on and ripped off of it, the poor thing had puffed out like Violet from Willy Wonka. I waddled out of that fancy salon looking like my crotch was shoplifting a neck pillow."

Overall this book is, dare I say, one the best I've ever read - and I've read a lot of books. The fact that Mamrie is one of my favourite YouTubers, and her humour cheers me up no matter what I feel like, has influenced my view towards this book. However, even if you've never watched her videos I recommend reading this because it will make you laugh when you least expect it.
If Mamrie happens to stumble over this post, then omg hey guuuurl! And also, I have so much love for you and like, can we be friends irl? just kidding. not really. You've been a huge influence on my life, and helped me to accept the real me. You're just awesome, and you have a great Hart. I'm sorry, I had to at least try...

I 100 per cent rate this book 5 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment