Wednesday, 21 October 2015

Me and Earl and The Dying Girl Book Review



This book follows a socially introvert male, Greg Gaines, and his best friend Earl. They spend their time making movies, based on those they have already seen. Everything is 'normal' and time passes by just how Greg likes it, until his mother forces him to rekindle his childhood friendship with Rachel, who has been diagnosed with leukemia. As much as Greg does not agree with this, he must obey. And he does. But when Greg and Earl find out that Rachel cannot recover from this illness, they decide that making one of their movies for her would be a good idea, but is it really? Let's just say, it develops a turning point in each of their lives.  


Yes, I know, I'm quite late on this bandwagon. What can I say? My bookshelf's had me busy.
After seeing plenty of hype over this book on YouTube and other blogs, I figured it must be pretty good, or at least half decent. But, to be honest, I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.

I felt that the story line was quite good. I mean, sort of like The Fault in our Stars but less serious and more humour. I particularly enjoyed the friendship between Greg and Earl. It was almost like they were best friends, but they didn't acknowledge that between each other. Yet the reader is still able to tell that they have such a great bond and that they do really trust each other.

Apart from that, my honest opinion is that I didn't really enjoy the book very much, and this was shown in the length of time it took me to read it.
I didn't fall in love with any of the characters like I usually would. This was mostly because I couldn't really relate to them very well, only slight aspects of each person really touched me.
I also didn't really enjoy the actual writing, and layout, of the book. I don't mean that it was written badly, just that the words were quite straightforward for me. I'm aware that the book was intended to be written this way, as a way of speech rather than written work. However, I found that it was not as intricate as I usually find in the novels I read.

Overall, I would rate this book 2.5/5 stars. I feel like it's aimed towards quite a young audience, due to the form of writing - simple and youthful. I'd also like to mention the movie production made of this book. Perhaps this is because I didn't enjoy the book to such a great extent, but I felt like the film missed a lot of what the book included. For me, this is one of my biggest pet peeves, seeing parts that I loved in a book (and found rather important, for that matter) evaporating into thin air when it comes to the production of a movie/play.

I hope you enjoyed this post, I'll see you again on Wednesday. Let me know in the comments what you thought of this book :)
Love, Laura xx










No comments:

Post a Comment