Sunday, 18 October 2015

Curious on stage!



Guys, I am SO excited right now. I went to see The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time last night at the Grand Opera House. It's been a whole day since I've seen it and I still cannot quite explain just how good it was. (The picture shown to the right is the t-shirt I bought from the merch shop - I love it.)

I feel like this post is going to involve me being quite open as the book/play really is relatable to me. I was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome a few years ago. When my college support worker gave me this book and told me it was about a 15-year old with Aspergers, I was quite reluctant to read it, to be honest. I didn't come to terms with my diagnosis for quite some time, but I feel like this book really helped me grasp some perspective.

Basically, the book follows a young boy (15) named Christopher. He finds a dead dog in his neighbors back yard, and decides to take it upon himself to find out who killed it. Along his journey, other secrets unravel. It shows Christopher's struggles, challenges and his life with Asperger's Syndrome.

The book meant a lot to me and I gave it to as many people as I could, not only to give them a perspective of how some things affect me, but also just to experience this exceptional piece of writing. When I found out that it was coming to a theatre near me, I ordered tickets the second they came out. I went along with my family last night, and we stared in awe at this wonderful creation. So little was used in the production, but so much was told. It was insane.

Please, if it ever comes to a place near you, take the time to go and watch it. I've heard that US tickets are often expensive, whereas UK tickets are a lot cheaper. If you're not able to get to a show, read the book - it's just as phenomenal.


Love, Laura xx






No comments:

Post a Comment